Friday, February 21, 2014

Memorizing Scripture with your Child: part 1

What is the value of my taking time consistently to help my child memorize God’s Word?

Let me ask you a question- “Do you want your child to be saved and then go on well for God?”  Memorizing God’s Word is a key component in seeing these things become a reality. 

First of all, Romans 10:17 tells us, “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.”  The Spirit of God has promised to use the Word of God to convict people of their sin, give them a true understanding of who Christ is and the work He has done, and bring them to salvation.  Our explanations and illustrations may be helpful, but they can never pierce a heart like the living and powerful Word of God can.

Secondly, Psalm 119:11 says, “Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.”  As a believer, God’s Word helps us to live a life that pleases Him.  You will not always be with your child to give them instruction as to how to respond in a given situation.  But if they have been grounded in the Word of God, the Holy Spirit will bring those truths to their remembrance and help them make the choice that would honor the Lord.


If you have helped your children memorize God's Word, it is tucked away in their hearts for eternity.  It is available for the Spirit of God to use for His purposes in their lives today.  It is something that no one can ever take from them, and that they themselves can never run away from.  However much time you spend helping them memorize Scripture, you can know that it is NEVER time that has been wasted.  

4 comments:

  1. This is something I really struggle with. I have not done a good job teaching verses to the kids. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children had a ABC tape that had scripture verse for each letter. Am looking for it to use in Sunday School, does anyone remember it and know where I can get a copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be associated with Scripture Memory Fellowship (used to be Bible Memory Association). I used the ABC series with my kids when they were little. You could check out their website and see if they have something like that available.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete