Friday, March 7, 2014

Memorizing Scripture with your Child- part 4

We have looked at the why, when, and where of memorizing verses.  Now let’s talk about the HOW. 



When working with your child on a new verse, the first thing I recommend is to have them get their Bible and look it up.  They need to understand that what they’re learning is God’s Word.  Read the verse together right from the Bible.
 
Next, explain what the verse means.  Define any words that your child may not understand, and then talk about the meaning of the verse as a whole.

Also, discuss how this verse applies to them personally

You can use the following questions to help with application.  I’ve included some sample verses that would fall into each category.
  • ·         Does this verse teach something about God’s character? (Genesis 1:1- God is the creator of all things.)
  • ·         Does this verse teach something about how God views me? (Romans 3:23- I have sinned.)                                                                                     
  • ·         Is this a promise that I can make my own? (John 3:15- I do believe in the Lord Jesus as my Saviour- God says that I have eternal life.)
  • ·         Is this a command I need to obey? (Ephesians 6:1- God says that I should obey my parents.)
  • ·         Is this a warning of something I should avoid? (Proverbs 28:13- God says if I try to cover up my sin, things will not go well for me.)
  • ·         Is this an example for me to follow? (John 9:38- This man believed on the Lord Jesus and worshipped Him.)
  • ·         Is this a prayer/request that I can make my own? (Psalm 19:14- Lord, please help me to have thoughts and words that are pleasing to You.)

The goal is not to turn your child into a verse-saying
parrot, repeating a string of words that have no meaning; it is for your child to understand and be able to apply God’s Word to their life situations.

These are the mechanics of actually teaching the verse.  Next time, we'll look at some ideas for ways you can practice the verse with your child to help them remember what it says.



So Philip ran to him…and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
And he said, “How can I unless someone guides me?”

-Acts 8:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment